Background

Click any photo in a post to enlarge. To leave a comment, click a post's title or post date.

Monday, January 25, 2010

Days 25-40

Well, it's been a long two weeks since my last post - Many late nights at the office to meet a deadline.  However, lest you think I have not been diligent in my sonett duties, I have opted to work on the car all I can and post less.  Now that the deadline is over you will hear from me more frequently.


Last we spoke (or more acurately that I rattled on) I was working on the radiator.  It still isn't exactly pretty, but this is what it looks like with straightened fins.





Mostly, I have spent the last two weeks wire brushing, sanding, and generally cleaning portions of the suspension and brake assemblies.  Here is a good example of a lower suspension arm before and after.  Note that the bushings have been replaced with new ones.  After the first two I learned that the old ones come out much easier if the assembly is heated with a torch until the rubber starts to smoke, then give it a good whack with a hammer.  Seating the new ones took dish soap, a bench vice, a large socket, and a little more finesse. 



   


My current dilemma is that for each assembly I need to clean, there are multiple sub-assemblies, so what looks at first like a single large object becomes many small ones.  The other problem is that I am trying to prep enough parts to make it worth while to proceed with de-greasing, rust treatment, and paint.  I still want to remove the front brake disks (need a larger socket) and wire brush the rear axle and transaxles before I do that, so I have had to resort to piles to keep straight what belongs to what.





Here's another angle:





So far the piles consist of : front upper and lower suspension arms, bushing brackets, coil springs, spring rests, shims, and bumpers.  Front brake caliper housings, piston seats, and pistons.  Lower and upper engine mounts.  Rear coil springs, spring rests, bumpers, trailing arms, brake housings, emergency brake levers, emergency brake cables, cover boots, and rear hard brake line sections.  And about a bajillion (that's an automotive term meaning crazy-lots) of bolts, washers, nuts, screws, shims, springs, clamps, and little doohickies.


The front disks and rear drums will all need to be surfaced.  The disks are pitted pretty badly, so I'm hoping there is enough left they don't need to be replaced.  I have already ordered front piston repair kits, new rear cylinders (the old ones were well beyond salvaging), rear brake shoes (the front pads seem to still have a lot of wear left), and shocks all around.  So far the shocks have been the largest cost item.


I have also ordered repair kits for the brake and clutch master cylinders, and clutch slave, and (thinking way ahead) an engine gasket set.  After a long cold spell, it has started to warm some, so the timing seems to be working out well to transition soon to work on the actual subframe cleaning and repair, so I can put all this stuff back together!