Background

Click any photo in a post to enlarge. To leave a comment, click a post's title or post date.

Monday, March 1, 2010

Days 67-74

It was cold here the past week!

For those that think Texas is always tropical, here is proof it does (occasionally) drop below 32*.  I snapped these one morning while waiting for my windshield to defrost.


It's been one of those one step forward - two step back type of weeks.  I have been expanding my circle of resources by participating in a web forum.  Through that activity, I was able to locate the tail end of the ignition thought lost in former posts.  On the other hand, I have been pricing having my rotors and drums turned, and everyone wants nearly the cost of new parts to turn the old ones!  At this juncture I am considering carefully hand sanding the drums to remove any surface rust and replacement of both of the rotors.  I need to buy one new one anyway, and that way I would have a matched set plus a spare.

I started to wire brush some loose body parts, but didn't get very far.  Time for a new wire brush!  This 3" brush is down to 2 1/4".



I began de-greasing parts this weekend - and quickly determined I'm going to need a lot more de-greaser!  The process is going well though, and I hope to start painting soon.  I plan to spend evenings this week applying the rust inhibitor, which is the last step before paint.

I am also rebuilding the horns.  This is what they looked like before I started on them.

Very few moving parts, but a challenge to figure out nonetheless.  The key is that the electromagnet attracts the bellows towards the back of the housing, thereby opening the switch contact and turning the magnet off.  This allows the bellows to spring back - repeating the cycle.  In other words, the horn's vibration is modulated by - itself.  Weird, but cool.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a Comment?