Background

Click any photo in a post to enlarge. To leave a comment, click a post's title or post date.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Parts and Services

It seems like I've been doing a lot of research and purchasing, but not much actual work lately.  I made a special trip down to San Antonio for a special project (more on that later).  I located a clutch disk and new connecting rod and flywheel bolts.

After a little more research, I realized I've been on the wrong track regarding modifying a Sonett engine to run on unleaded fuel.  It's not the pistons, but the valves and valve seats that need to be hardened.  I spent a little over a week trying to source valves and seats, but the best I could find was an offer for bulk parts (cases of 24).  I don't need 6 car's worth, just one!  Luckily I found a machine shop that can source the necessary parts and get the job done.  They are also resurfacing the flywheel.  They should have everything back to me by the weekend.

In the meantime, I've been cleaning up the engine block. . .


. . .and the pistons.  All of the rings are out of spec, but the bore itself is still in good condition and to spec.  The rings on three of the four pistons were glued firmly in place with the goo/carbon deposits mentioned in the last post.  One of them was so bad that the only way to get the compression rings off was to break them into six pieces each.  No confirmation yet, but the same machine shop says they can get me the rings.  If not I have a few other possible sources.

After some tedious work with a very small screwdriver and a light pass with 600 grit sandpaper those ring grooves are ready to receive new rings.


I also disassembled and rebuilt the starter.

Afterward I had it tested, and it fired right up.

The fuel pump is back together. . .



. . .and the water pump housing cleaned and ready to go back on.



. . . As is the thermostat housing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a Comment?