Background

Click any photo in a post to enlarge. To leave a comment, click a post's title or post date.

Monday, May 28, 2012

There she goes!

Now that the exhaust is all sorted, the gas and oil are not threatening to set the engine bay on fire, the fans are operational and will keep the engine from melting itself, and I've figured out why that darn speedometer wouldn't spin, it's time to see if the contraption will actually move under it's own power. . .


(That would be a resounding "yes"!)


So it moves, but what good is a sports car without a good radio?


I had quite an amusing time annoying the young sales clerk at the electronics store.  He kept trying to do a web search in the company computer to figure out what size speakers should be installed in a '71 Saab Sonett.  Strangely, he couldn't find the answer.  He was puzzled that this did not phase me at all. . .

The speakers are not wired, yet, so I'm not sure how it'll sound, but I think the overall look is not too bad.  I suppose I could have searched the web for that one custom radio that would have fit in the available space, but I wanted all the modern conveniences.  Makes for a bit of an asymmetrical installation, but I kind of like the quirkyness of it.  And the available space behind the dash was just the right size.  The aluminum insert is recessed into the dash, but I'm toying with fabricating a second insert (flush mounted) to fit around the right side of the stereo with the same angled edge so the transition is not so abrupt.  Stay tuned. . .


3 comments:

  1. It won't let me look at your video...can't believe it until I see it!
    T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice tire squeal...just to prove you have a sports car, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually it was unintentional. At the time I took the video, I hadn't figured out the carburetor adjustments yet so I had to keep it rev'd to keep from stalling and gave it a bit too much gas. But yeah, it's fun to do that too!

      Delete

Got a Comment?