Background

Click any photo in a post to enlarge. To leave a comment, click a post's title or post date.

Friday, January 1, 2010

Day 15

Wow I'm tired!

Using lessons learned from yesterday, I got the drivers side transaxle / wheel hub assembly off in record time.  With both tie rods off, the rack and pinion and steering column came right out.  After disentangling the starter wire from around the engine, disconnecting the fuel line, and loosening the three motor mounts, it was time to free the powerplant from the chassis.

Now when you see the photo below, I know you are going to say to yourself "what the heck is that, and where is the engine hoist?  Is it just that I'm too cheap to rent a hoist or what?"  Yes, and no.  After pondering the matter, it occurred to me that engine hoists are pretty heavy beasts themselves, and sure, I could go pick one up, but how to get it off and back on the pickup?  Solution:  build a temporary A frame out of old deck and playscape parts.  The eyehook is a recycled swing set attachment.  Next problem:  I've got no chains, but I do have a 2 ton rated cable, but it's too long (10').  Solution:  wrap the cable around the engine/transmission three times for the perfect length (I had 2" clearance left when fully elevated).





Once the engine was out, emptying the rest of the engine bay was a snap.  The brake and clutch master cylinders came out first, followed by the gas line back to the fire wall.  The drivers side wheel well baffle and support came out next, and the mounting bracket for the charcoal canister.

Next I moved back into the cabin.  I had to grind off the small screws that held metal plates over the gas line, battery cable, and brake lines because they were so far gone with rust.  Pried out all the little rubber spacers and freed all of these lines.  Working on both sides of the firewall, the heater thermostat came out next, and the rear motor mount hub(the transmission mounts to the back of the fire wall). I removed as much as I could of the emergency brake assembly.  The main pin is stuck.

I also removed the door hinges.  There is a travel limit device tucked into a small hole in the side wall that you must free by removing a 40 year old rusty cotter pin.  Yeah right!  One of the hinge pins ceased, and would not let go, even after 20 minutes of banging and cursing.  Finally had to cut it off.  And last, but not least, I finally figured out how to get the roll bar off, thereby freeing the last bit of apholstery (over the gas tank bulkhead).  The trick was to get the longest socket extension I owned, reach through a small hole and (if the angle is just right) get half a purchase on the nut then turn one click of the ratchet.  Repeat (about 100 times). 

After scraping all the loose rust and crud and vacuuming it is starting to look like I am close to the part of the project I am most excited about - patching the holes!  Basically, the only parts still on the chassis are the remainder of the front and rear suspension.  I need to purchase a coil spring compressor to do that.


















Here are some other major parts removed yesterday and this morning: