Background

Click any photo in a post to enlarge. To leave a comment, click a post's title or post date.

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Whoopsie!

I retrieved all the engine parts from the machine shop.

I think. . .

I somehow managed to misplace the flywheel.

I'm not sure how you misplace a 12" diameter, 10 pound gear, but there you go.  I cleaned the shop from top to bottom and it's not here.  So either it's at the shop (I don't remember taking it, but remember thinking about taking it), or my son inadvertently threw it out with my wife's old brake disks around Thanksgiving.

Although that may disrupt the reconstruction process, there is still a lot I can do in the meantime.

This is what the parts looked like coming back from the shop.



I had new valve seats installed, the valves and seats ground and the valve assemblies re installed.  The block was bored to .31mm over and the new piston heads installed on the old arms.

I began by setting the crankshaft, and gapping the piston rings.  I needed to replace the piston arm retaining bolts, so I knocked those out with a hammer and pressed in the new ones with the bench vise by slipping the end of the bolt inside an 11mm socket.


Then I installed the pistons in the bores, and secured them to the crankshaft.  I also set the balance shaft and it's end cap.


Then, with the major holes plugged on the back (transmission) end of the engine I proceeded to paint the block, heads, intake manifold, water pump housing, and intermediate plate with 3 coats of high temp enamel.



The manifold and heads are just stacked in place for the painting process, there is more internal work to be done before they are bolted down.  The oil pan, valve covers, and front cowling were all painted earlier.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a Comment?