Background

Click any photo in a post to enlarge. To leave a comment, click a post's title or post date.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Motorin'

I knew there was a reason I kept this blog!  A little research and I found this entry on the blog from March 8, 2011:  "I spent a little over a week trying to source valves and seats". . .  "Luckily I found a machine shop that can source the necessary parts and get the job done.  They are also resurfacing the flywheel.  They should have everything back to me by the weekend."

The shop had to move several piles of parts, but we did find the flywheel, and it is back on the crankshaft where it belongs!

The engine is now mostly assembled including; heads installed, tappets, pushrods, and rocker arm assemblies attached, valves gapped, valve covers, intake manifold, water pump, fuel pump, oil pressure sensor, thermostat & housing, emissions module, carburetor, spark plugs, oil filter, mounting brackets, fuel and vacuum hoses, and cooling/heater hoses.

This is what it looked like before the valve covers and manifold went on:




And this is what it looks like now:




Most of the soft hoses are new, and the hard pipes are the originals after cleaning and painting.

I am currently working on cleaning up and testing the distributor.

It has been very rewarding to see things go back together.  The boxes, baggies, and piles of parts have all gotten much smaller!  It has also been almost surreal to be handling such mundane objects again as oil filters and spark plugs.

I received delivery today of air filters and new parts for my next project - fitting new dual electric fans to the back side of the radiator.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a Comment?