Background

Click any photo in a post to enlarge. To leave a comment, click a post's title or post date.

Monday, April 23, 2012

Radiator Madness

I guess I should start with the disclaimer that I've dropped the engine back into the chassis and hooked up all the miscellaneous hoses, belts, wires, and other bits.  I also filled all the various tanks with their respective various types of fluids and verified that none of said fluids are leaking.


In the case of the radiator, this took a little more time and effort than originally expected.  Long ago (I thought) I had pressure-tested the radiator.  It turns out there were no big leaks, but there were a half dozen or so small drip-type leaks.  After filling and draining the radiator several times, marking and soldering the holes encountered, I finally got it to hold water. 

Next, I worked out where to add brackets to hold my new electric fans.

New fan mounts at bottom and at top (hidden) behind chassis frame
Here are a couple of views of the installed fans.  (I still need to work out the wiring connections).



















Next, I needed to create brackets to mount the new air conditioning condenser coil.  The coil, compressor, and drier are from a late model Mazda hatchback.  I think the sizing of the condenser is spot-on.




Both radiators will get a coat of paint, but now that I'm this close I want to keep pushing to see if I can actually get the motor to start.  I still need to mount the compressor, work out the AC hoses, and purchase a longer drive belt to turn the compressor.  I've actually already cleaned up and made minor modifications to an original Sonett AC compressor mount to fit the new compressor.  Here it is installed:





No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a Comment?